http://www.makepovertyhistory.org
 
Web www.heelsonfire.org
heels on fire: Lights Out

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Lights Out


Photographs in India by Desmond Roberts
2005. A village in Warangal district,Andhra Pradesh, India that I covered while doing a photoshoot for Oxfam International on the plight of cotton farmers. The picture of the electric pole is one of my favourites. When I stepped out of my vehicle some twenty villagers had surrounded me. And when I pointed my camera at the sky with the electric pole in the foreground, the villagers were talking among themselves – "He is taking this picture of the electric pole, he will probably show it to the Prime Minister in New Delhi". The street light has not been working for the last 15 years! The poor, tired of waiting for the 'trickle down effect', await intervention from the highest source.

4 Comments:

At Wed Mar 29, 08:12:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Superb pics Dez. No doubt some sponsors are going to get some serious value for their money.

 
At Wed Mar 29, 09:29:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you selling any of these prints?

Lis J (friend of petes)

 
At Wed Mar 29, 04:38:00 PM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photos Dez and I love the sky-street light story. I do wonder however where to place my sympathy. Should it be with the people who lack the pleasure of the working streetlight or us poor souls who caught up with our busy city lives, miss the simple pleasures of such beautiful skies?! Thanks for the beautiful images to remind us of these simple pleasures.

 
At Thu Mar 30, 10:34:00 AM 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Des,I would be really disappointed if you tell me that you didnt show the picture to the prime minister...betraying the trust of innocent farmers...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Website Counter